Welcome to the Southern California Tuna Club in it’s 97th year. Terry Tysseland called the Meeting to Order at 12:10PM with 31 members in attendance.
- The Next Meeting is an Evening Meeting 7/28/22 with Tom Schlauch giving a Tackle Talk.
- John Lavarias has ordered blue AFCO shirts for our inventory. The shirts will be logoed and available to purchase at next Thursday’s meeting.
- Today we honored Paul Rybak for his 42 years of service and more specifically his service as Chairman of the Club Trophy Clays Shoot for the last 30 years!!! He was honored with drinks ‘on the house for all’ and the renaming of the H.E. Ridings Trophy Clays Shoot in his honor. Paul has had many positions within the club and with an effort to preserve the history of the trophy and in recognition of his many years coordinating the shooting event the Board of Directors met on June 16, 2022 and renamed the trophy the Paul R. Rybek H. E. Ridings Trophy Clays Shoot. It is honor hard earned and well deserved. Thank you Paul!! ………for a job well done!!
There have been changes to the Club Calendar of Events
- Past Presidents and Sportsman Dinner is now 11/3/22
- Couples Trip is now scheduled for 11/12 thru 11/17/22 – see details below in Future Events section.
- The Tom and Jerry Party is now scheduled 12/15/2022
- Long Range Trip on the Pacific Dawn which had been scheduled for May 28 to 31st has been postponed due to bad weather. The new dates are August 29 to September 1st from Fisherman’s Landing in San Diego.
Members not seen for a while:
- Our good friend who haven’t seen in a while Ed Cox was in attendance.
- Welcome back Ed.!!!
- Don First introduced Don Burge. Welcome Don.
- Don First introduced Jerry Borisy. Welcome Jerry.
Good Cheer Report:
- Curt Herberts – is in the house and healing well from his shoulder surgery.
- Al Hermer – was absent and visiting his neurologist regarding back pain and we are holding a good thought that he will have good news for us next week.
- Ken Trossen – it was reported had a fall and resulting in several broken bones. Holding good thoughts and wishing Ken to get well soon!!!
New Members: None.
- 7/9/22 Phil Capricco – 46.6# BFT on The Kid.
- 7/9/22 Nicholas Capricco – 174# BFT on The Kid.
- 7/12/22 Ken Huss – 41.9 # BFT on the Pacific Queen
- 7/12/22 Ken Huss – 38.3# BFT on the Pacific Queen
- 7/13/22 Ken Huss – 19.1 # YT on the Pacific Queen
- 7/13/22 Ken Huss – 2.5 # Calico Bass on the Pacific Queen
- 7/13/22 Ken Huss – 1.9 # Calico Basss on the Pacific Queen
- 7/14.22 Phil Capricco – 28.2 # WSB on the Options.
- Paul McEachern, Hank Brown, Brook and Captain Geno on the Maverick looking for three day trip to Catalina, SBI and San Clemente looking for BFT and WSB and they landed a 100 pounder and a 52 pounder along with miscellaneous other fish like Calico Bass..
- John Lavarias, Dick Ableser and Phil Capricco went on the Options looking for WSB and BFT where Phil caught a 28.2 # WSB (see weight slip above).
- Larry Krueger is back from Cabo where they caught 6 BFT in the 50# to 70# range.
- Ron Herbst reports that the Long Beach Rod and Gun club will be having their swap meet this weekend.
Past Events: None
- Pacific Dawn Long Range Trip #1. The trip was scheduled to focus on white seabass departing from Venture May 30 to June 1st but had to be postponed due to weather to August 29 to September 1; now out of San Diego and the trip has been expanded to 2 and ½ days. There will be 4 guests already signed up but not from SCTC leaving us 8 SCTC anglers. There may still be slots left so contact Al Hermer or Mike Engle.
- Alaska Trip… will depart tomorrow morning and will return on July 27 with boxes of frozen fillets and we will give a report at the next meeting.
- August 3-7 British Columbia Trip – John Lavarias says there is room for a few couple more couples.
- Options Trips – all three are full per John Lavarias but contact him to be put on his alternate list.
- August 5-8 long Range Trip #2 – Full – contact Al Hermer & Mike Engle
- August 17 Club Trophy Shoot – Contact Paul Rybak
- August 18 – 20 Intra Club Tournament – Contact Larry Drum!! The flyers and rules are out and on the table in the front of the clubhouse or on the internet.
- SIGN UP Now for the 2023 Fresh Water Trip which will be in Lake El Salto and Lake Picachos with two and a half days of fishing in each lake. Sign up now on the SCTC website to secure a spot for next year. Talk to Paul McEachern, Greg Bohnet or Hank Brown.
- Couples Trip – November 12 to 17, 2022. Tamarindo, Costa Rica. Cor Claus is our host to 20 beautiful ocean front rooms with all the activities, fishing and endless cocktail parties you have come to expect from a SCTC Couples Trip. So far Cor has 15 couples signed up and we would like to see at least 20. Cor said the trip is now opened to guests. Let’s get out of the country and relax in the sun and have fun fishing and plying golf with your best friends!! THIS WILL BE THE TRIP OF THE YEAR!! Contact Cor Claus. See Flyer below……
- Guest Speaker: – next week there will be Tackle talk with be Tom Schlaugh on the potential of changing the SCTC Bylaws to IGFA rules. He will speak at the evening meeting on July 28th.
With no other business the meeting was concluded at 1:45PM
Comments are closed.