Welcome to the Southern California Tuna Club in it’s 97th year. Terry Tysseland called the Meeting to Order at 12:05PM with 21 members in attendance.
- The Next Evening Meeting is 7/28/22 with Tom Schlauch giving a Tackle Talk.
- John Lavarias is not able to attend lunch today but Terry and Hank are taking orders for shirts in his absence. He will fulfill the orders when he returns. Thanks John.
- Ken Calof – spoke to the members on the possibility of having some variability in the menu by using different caterers and having sandwiches from time to time. There was very little support for a change from the Grand at this time.
- Don Riggins – senior member since 1979. I related my conversation with him and his answer to my email blast looking for another Angler to go to Alaska this year to fill Lou Earlabaugh’s vacancy for medical reasons. Well, with three days notice Don is going!! At bringing up Don’s name at the meeting many members raised their hands acknowledging that the remembered him …………and that he is a great guy. I look forward to meeting him on the Alaska trip.
There have been changes to the Club Calendar of Events
- Past Presidents and Sportsman Dinner is now 11/3/22
- Couples Trip is now scheduled for 11/12 thru 11/17/22 – see details below in Future Events section.
- The Tom and Jerry Party is now scheduled 12/15/2022
- Long Range Trip on the Pacific Dawn which had been scheduled for May 28 to 31st has been postponed due to bad weather. The new dates are August 31 to September 2nd from Fisherman’s Wharf from San Diego.
Members not seen for a while:
- Don Hudzeitz
- Glenn Grouen
- Welcome Back Don and Glenn!!!
Good Cheer Report:
- Curt Herberts – is home after having shoulder surgery on Monday. He told Co that he is feeling so good that he is going to send us at the Club a card. He walked a mile and a half yesterday. We wish you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.
- Lou Earlabaugh – went to the ER after coming home from Catalina on his boat due to significant pain. He was admitted and had surgery the next morning and will be out of commission for about 6 weeks. We wish Lou a speedy recovery as well.
- Jeff Stone – has completed 32 of his 42 treatments and feels so good that he is taking his daughter, Lauren. to Queen Charlotte Sound fishing for 10 days. His doctors say he can make up the last 10 treatments when he gets home. He says he will then resume lunch meetings at the club. It will be great to have you back at lunches in a few weeks.
New Members: None.
Weight Slips: None
- Paul McEachern and Hank Brown are on the Maverick looking for BFT. Report is that the have a 100 pounder and a 55 pounder. Will be great to hear the report at next Thursday’s lunch meeting.
- Jan Packard – fished on the Pacific Dawn out of Ventura. For several days in a row all trips were cancelled due to weather and then with minimal notice they decided that could slip a trip in …….. so Jan went on a 2 day and he caught 5 WSB in the 25# range.
- Dan Mundy – is back from spending a week on the Cazador fishing in Alaska out of Sitka. He relates the fishing and onboard services from Captain to cook to deckhands and stewardess were all top shelve. And they caught a lot of fish, Kings, Silvers, Halibut and Lingcod.
- Dick Bell – reports that he and his wife went to beautiful Catalina Island and kicked back for the weekend ………….and watching the flying fish was enjoyable. We are so lucky to have such a beautiful destination so close.
- Alaska Pre-trip was held Tuesday evening July 12 with 14 anglers attending a pizza, salad and desert dinner. Thanks to Keith Pringle for providing the pizza and to Don First for opening the bar.
- Pacific Dawn Long Range Trip #1. The trip was scheduled to focus on white seabass departing from Venture May 30 to June 1st but had to be postponed due to weather to August 30 to September 1, now out of San Diego. There may still be slots left so contact Al Hermer or Mike Engle.
- Alaska Trip… was full but Lou Earlabaugh called me Friday to relate that his knee swelled up on his way back from Catalina on Thursday. When he got to his dock he couldn’t walk off the boat so they took him to the ER where he was admitted and then did surgery on Friday. He will be out six weeks. I put out an email blast for a replacement and Don Riggins from Spicewood Texas called and said to inquire about going and now he is going. We are glad to have him along. We are still taking alternate names if someone would have to drop out. Trip is scheduled 7/22 thru 7/27. Contact Terry Tysseland if you have any questions.
- August 3-7 British Columbia Trip – John Lavarias says there is room for a couple more couples.
- Options Trips – all three are full per John Lavarias but contact him to be put on his alternate list.
- August 5-8 long Range Trip #2 – Full – contact Al Hermer & Mike Engle
- August 17 Club Trophy Shoot – Contact Paul Rybak
- August 18 – 20 Intra Club Tournament – Contact Larry Drum!! The flyers and rules are out and on the table in the front of the clubhouse or on the internet.
- SIGN UP Now for the 2023 Fresh Water Trip which will be in Lake El Salto and Lake Picachos with two and a half days of fishing in each lake. Sign up now on the SCTC website to secure a spot for next year. Talk to Paul McEachern, Greg Bohnet or Hank Brown.
- Couples Trip – November 12 to 17, 2022. Tamarindo, Costa Rica. Cor Claus is our host to 20 beautiful ocean front rooms with all the activities, fishing and endless cocktail parties you have come to expect from a SCTC Couples Trip. So far Cor has 14 couples signed up and we would like to see at least 20. Cor said the trip is opened to guests. Let’s get out of the country and relax in the sun and have fun with your best friends!! THIS WILL BE THE TRIP OF THE YEAR!! Contact Cor Claus. See Flyer below……
- Guest Speaker – next Tackle talk with be Tom Schlaugh on the potential of changing the SCTC Bylaws to IGFA rules. He will speak at the evening meeting on July 28th.
Comments are closed.