Welcome to the Southern California Tuna Club in its 97th year
Terry Tysseland called the Meeting to Order at 12:00PM with 33 members in attendance. Tom Dixon will lead the meeting next week as many members will be fishing the Spring Bass tournament …..Thanks Tom!!
BURGER BASH is June 5th. The event begins at 11:00AM and it will be opened to the public so getting here early might be a good idea. This year the menu will include ribs/chicken, beans and slaw. Members will pick up their MEAL TICKETS at the table inside the clubhouse door at the top of the stairs for the food which will be cooking adjacent to the clubhouse. We will pick up our food and take it to the SCTC clubhouse where we will eat (the public will not be allowed in the SCTC clubhouse). There will be other events including a swap meet, vintage car show going on as well. Please get signed up and pay ASAP on the club website. If you do not have access to the website, you can make a reservation by contacting:
John Lavarias at firstname.lastname@example.org or
Terry Tysseland at email@example.com
by email or text or phone call with the number of reservations that you need. You can also pay “cash at the door” at the event check-in table near the SCTC clubhouse door. Looking for a great turnout as we usually have for this event.
Fish The Wall and Small Boat Tournament will be 6/4 with Tani Poe
announcing the results at the Burger Bash. Looks like 8 boats and 26 anglers.
Tackle Day was April the 9th. however, we will have a booth at the Burger Bash so look for Co DeCoudres, John Lavarias and Ron Herbst to sell more donated tackle & equipment which are still coming in thanks to our members cleaning out the gear they don’t use any more. The total donated to the Foundation from this year’s event exceeds $10,000 and is still coming in – THIS IS getting more outstanding each week AND A GREAT BENEFIT TO A GREAT CAUSE.
Spring Bass Tournament – 6-9 to 6-11 Cor says there are 14 boats signed up and we could use a few more. Final party and awards at Whites Landing on Saturday evening 6/11. Weight Slips must be turned in on the pier at Whites no later than 5:30 pm on Saturday.
There have been changes to the Club Calendar of Events
- Past Presidents and Sportsman Dinner is now 11/3/22
- Couples Trip is now scheduled for 11/12 thru 11/17/22
- The Tom and Jerry Party is now scheduled 12/15/2022
- Long Range Trip on the Pacific Dawn which had been scheduled for May 28 to 31st has been postponed due to bad weather. The new dates are August 31 to September 2nd from Fisherman’s Wharf from San Diego.
Members not seen for a while:
- Norm Suma
- Jim Andrews
- Mike Mundy
- Frank Spina
- Welcome Back Guys
- Larry Krueger introduced Tony Hornstadt
- Curt Herbert introduced Elliott Cortez
- Dan Mundy introduced Jim Corbin
Good Cheer Report:
- Jeff Stone – is being treated for Prostate Cancer. He has to take a radiation treatment every day for 42 straight days. He is taking his third today. His condition will not require surgery and is lucky the cancer did not metastasize to other areas, so prognosis is very hopeful.
- Longtime SCTC past president Thornton Ibbetson’s wife, Harriet died on Sunday.
New Members: None.
Weight Slips: None! The weather continues to be a challenge.
- Tom Dixon and Tom Dixon II went out of SD on the Pacifica with 24 angles
- and all caught their limit of BFT. Great Boat and crew!
- John Lavarias and Don First went out of Fisherman’s Landing on the Inlander and all limited out 120# to 90#s BFT. Great Boat and crew!
- Al Hermer went out of Ventura on the Pride on a 1 ½ day trip to Santa Rosa Island. They caught some WSB 25# to largest at 60#.
- Joe Vicic went to Laredo fishing for YT with down riggers at about 60 feet.
- Curt Herberts has been looking at where the charter boats are going, and they are now going due west out of SD and he surmises that the BFT are moving north.
- Tom Schaluch and Paul McEachern went out to an undisclosed location this morning but did not catch anything.
Past Events: none to report
- Pacific Dawn Long Range Trip. The trip was scheduled to focus on white seabass departing from Venture May 30 to June 1st but had to be postponed due to weather to August 30 to September 1, now out of San Diego. There are still slots left so contact Al Hermer or Mike Engle
- Fish the Wall and Small Boat Tournament. Scheduled for June 4th followed by the Burger Bash on the 5th. The Burger Bash will be ribs and fixings this year. This event always has a great turnout with tournament awards & prizes held during the Burger Bash on Sunday. Contact Tani Poe for info.
- Jim Schmidt “SPRING BASS” Tournament 6/9/22 to 6/11/22 is scheduled to begin on Thursday night 6/9/22 at 12 midnight fishing thru Saturday 6/11/22 with lines out at 3pm. Awards, raffle prizes and dinner to be held at Whites Landing starting with cocktails at 5 pm. Check with Cor Clause or Hank Brown for information.
- Baja Kids Trip… Thom Ryan and Andrew Weiske 6/18/22 to 6/23/22 promises this year’s event to be one of the biggest. It is well attended by members, their Kids and Grandkids. If you are looking for an event to include your family members this is the one.
- Alaska Trip… Now is full but taking alternate names if someone has to drop out. Trip is scheduled 7/22 thru 7/27
Contact Terry Tysseland if you have any questions.
- August 3-7 British Columbia Trip – John Lavarias says there is room for a couple more couples.
- Options Trips – all three are full per John Lavarias but contact him to be put on his alternate list.
- August 5-8 long Range Trip – Full
- August 17 Club Trophy Shoot
- August 18 – 20 Intra Club Tournament
- Fresh Water Trip 2023 will be in Lake El Salto and Lake Picachos with two and a half days of fishing in each lake. Sign up now on the SCTC website to secure a spot for next year. Talk to Paul McEachern, Greg Bohnet or Hank Brown.
- Couples Trip – November 12 to 17, 2022. Tamarindo, Costa Rica. Cor Claus is our host to 20 beautiful ocean front rooms with all the activities, fishing and endless cocktail parties you have come to expect from a SCTC Couples Trip. So far Cor has 14 couples signed up and we would like to see at least 20. Cor said today that in another two weeks he will open the trip to guests. Let’s get out of the country and relax in the sun and have fun with your best friends!! Contact Cor Claus.
See Flyer below…
With no other business to discuss the meeting was called to a close at 1:45pm.