Welcome to the Southern California Tuna Club in it’s 97th year. Terry Tysseland called the Meeting to Order at 12:28PM with 31 members in attendance. The attendance was a little low since many of the members are attending the Baja Kid’s Trip, are on their way home from Mexico today and not in attnedance.
- Tackle Talk with Paul McEachern has been postponed to July 7th due to the low attendance expected today due to many members on the Baja Kids Trip.
- Next week’s meeting on June 30th is an evening meeting starting with cocktails at 5:00 PM, dinner at 6:00PM and regular meeting to follow dinner. Notice to our working members that cannot regularly attend our Thursday lunch meeting that this evening meeting was designed for you!! Please try to come and enjoy the fellowship, good food and allowing you to participate in the SCTC at a higher level.
- John Lavarias is making forward buy on blue AFCO shirts with SCTC logo so we will have a nice selection in stock for around $25 and a little more with hoods. He is also working on Reyn Spooner shirts. Thanks John.
There have been changes to the Club Calendar of Events
- Past Presidents and Sportsman Dinner is now 11/3/22
- Couples Trip is now scheduled for 11/12 thru 11/17/22 – see details below in Future Events section.
- The Tom and Jerry Party is now scheduled 12/15/2022
- Long Range Trip on the Pacific Dawn which had been scheduled for May 28 to 31st has been postponed due to bad weather. The new dates are August 31 to September 2nd from Fisherman’s Wharf from San Diego.
Members not seen for a while:
- Dennis Friedman
- John Trapani
- Don Herman
- Welcome Back Guys!!!
- Rick Whearty – introduced two of his associates. Rusty Malison and Ray Gomez.
- Don First – introduced his neighbor DonVurge who has been to lunch at SCTC now 5 times.
Good Cheer Report:
- Jeff Stone – is being treated for Prostate Cancer. He has to take a radiation treatment every day for 42 straight days. He is taking his 13th today and will have to continue daily treatments until August. Jeff received our card and was very appreciative!! He said he has been around for years and grateful that he has never had a card before now. He is in great spirits and working full time but says the radiation makes him very tired. His condition will not require surgery and is lucky the cancer did not metastasize to other areas, so prognosis is very hopeful.
New Members: None.
Weight Slips: None
- John Lavarias and Dick Ableser did a 1 ½ day trip on the Ocean Odyssey from SD. both say that SBI is now wide opened for YT and WSB. They did not like the boat, too high off the water and poor sleeping arragements. And they did not catch any fish!
- Terry Krause – fished for WSB at Santa Rosa and St. Nick but caught no WSB. He has been spending a lot of time in Rancho Learnardo where fishing has been poor except for Marlin every day.
- Jan Packard – fished on the Pacific Dawn from Ventura for WSB but caught none.
- The Baja Kid’s trip is going as I type this and we will have a full report next week on the Weekly Update.
- Future Events:
- Pacific Dawn Long Range Trip. The trip was scheduled to focus on white seabass departing from Venture May 30 to June 1st but had to be postponed due to weather to August 30 to September 1, now out of San Diego. There are still slots left so contact Al Hermer or Mike Engle
- Baja Kids Trip… Thom Ryan and Andrew Weiske 6/18/22 to 6/23/22 promises this year’s event to be one of the biggest. It is well attended by members, their Kids and Grandkids. If you are looking for an event to include your family members this is the one.
- Alaska Trip… Now is full but taking alternate names if someone would have to drop out. Trip is scheduled 7/22 thru 7/27. For those attending the Alaska Trip there will be a Pre-Trip meeting in the clubhouse on July 12 with pizza, drinks and desert. Bring your questions and receive final instructions. Contact Terry Tysseland if you have any questions.
- August 3-7 British Columbia Trip – John Lavarias says there is room for a couple more couples.
- Options Trips – all three are full per John Lavarias but contact him to be put on his alternate list.
- August 5-8 long Range Trip – Full – contact Al Hermer & Mike Engle
- August 17 Club Trophy Shoot – Contact Paul Rybak
- August 18 – 20 Intra Club Tournament – Contact Larry Drum
- SIGN UP Now for the 2023 Fresh Water Trip which will be in Lake El Salto and Lake Picachos with two and a half days of fishing in each lake. Sign up now on the SCTC website to secure a spot for next year. Talk to Paul McEachern, Greg Bohnet or Hank Brown.
- Couples Trip – November 12 to 17, 2022. Tamarindo, Costa Rica. Cor Claus is our host to 20 beautiful ocean front rooms with all the activities, fishing and endless cocktail parties you have come to expect from a SCTC Couples Trip. So far Cor has 14 couples signed up and we would like to see at least 20. Cor said today that in another two weeks he will open the trip to guests. Let’s get out of the country and relax in the sun and have fun with your best friends!! THIS WILL BE THE TRIP OF THE YEAR!! Contact Cor Claus. See Flyer below……
- Guest Speaker July 7th will be Paul McEachern with a Tackle Talk.