Welcome to the Southern California Tuna Club in it’s 97th year. Terry Tysseland called the Meeting to Order at 5:40PM with 34 members in attendance. This was the second evening meeting of 2022. The meeting was brought to order by the shotting off of the signal cannon from our balcony by our two protechnic experts Paul Ryback and Don First. We thought it appropriate on this occasion to honor all SCTC members that have passed away in the past year and also to honor the 4th of July Weekind which honors our Independence Day!! On July 4th, 1776 the writting of the Declaration of Indenandenc was completed by Thomas Jefferson and preesented to the president of the senate. Unkown to most, is that the signing of the Declaration of Independancew was not until August and then finally delivered to the Great Britan in the following November. So HAPPY JULY 4TH WEEKEND EVERYONE!!
- This week’s evening meeting was well attended especially by some of our newer members that are still working and cannot attend regularly the lunch meetings. Special thanks to Erin Brady, Jess Fedderson and Davis Aldana for attending.
- Thanks to Don First for getting the carpet cleaned – it looks like new. And thanks to the many members for coming early to put the furniture back in place.
- Dan Mundy reports that the Baja Kids Trip was epic. They just got back and the hotel was sold out to the SCTC party. Dan said the fishing was not as god as usual but while they did not get the quantity the certainly got quality fish. 57 attended and everyone had a wonderful time. Plenty of Marlin and Dorado. The kids loved it.
- Don Herman reports that the hoist and power cables for the SCTC scale at the fuel dock were damaged again by high tides stretching the cables between the dock and pilon a few weeks ago. Both cables were damaged and Don and Jan Martin replaced them. They lenghthened them and it turned out not quite enough as the mid span splice pulled apart on another high tied. Consequently, this past week Don and Jan again lengthened the power cable as there was extra and replaced the control cable completely. They installed a bungee to keep the hanging cables from conflicting with the dock and pilon. Call to all SCTC members, as you are around the hoist and scale please monitor the scale. One of the damage points is the stainless steel box on the pilon. The bottom edge of the door has an edge that gauls the cables when they are stretched across it. The new length of the cables should eliminate this. THANKS DON AND JAN FOR REPAIRING THE HOIST AT VERY LITTLE COST TO THE CLUB!!
- John Lavarias is making forward buy on blue AFCO shirts with SCTC logo so we will have a nice selection in stock for around $25 and a little more with hoods. He is also working on Reyn Spooner shirts. Thanks John.
There have been changes to the Club Calendar of Events
- Past Presidents and Sportsman Dinner is now 11/3/22
- Couples Trip is now scheduled for 11/12 thru 11/17/22 – see details below in Future Events section.
- The Tom and Jerry Party is now scheduled 12/15/2022
- Long Range Trip on the Pacific Dawn which had been scheduled for May 28 to 31st has been postponed due to bad weather. The new dates are August 31 to September 2nd from Fisherman’s Wharf from San Diego.
Members not seen for a while:
- Chris Halliday
- Brian Fournier
- Curt Herberts
- KC Coultrup
- Pat Colucci
- Fred Westburg
- Jeff Clary
- Erin Brady
- Jess Fedderson
- Davis Aldana
- Frank Spina
- JEFF STONE
- Welcome Back Guys!!!
- Rick Whearty – introduced Robert Miller.
- Don First – introduced Jerry Borisy.
- Larry Kruger introduced Adain King
Good Cheer Report:
- JEFF STONE IS IN THE HOUSE TONIGHT!! Welcome back Jeff.
- Dan Mundy – reported that Gary Whitener is back in the hospital with a heart condition and will not be able to make his own Alaska trip this next week. Holding a good thought for Gary’s quick recovery!!!
- Steve Gammer is back under a personally imposed quarantine for COVID. He picked up four of the party of six at LAX yesterday (all testing positive for COVID) that went on a cruise to Norway with his wife Victoria. The other two, his wife Victoria and her daughter, were quarantined in New York because they tested positive to COVID when getting off the ship. Victoria and her daughter are doing fine and due back in LAX probably before you receive this update. More from Steve next week.
New Members: None.
Weight Slips: None
- Chris Halliday reports that he heard from SCTC member Darrin Smith this morning. He was fishing at SBI and hooked three WSB and landed only one. They didn’t have a gaff so they just lifted the 30 lb WSB into the boat by hand.
- John Lavarias reports that a 150# BFT was caught off dana Point.
- The Baja Kid’s trip as reported above by Dan Mundy.
- Pacific Dawn Long Range Trip. The trip was scheduled to focus on white seabass departing from Venture May 30 to June 1st but had to be postponed due to weather to August 30 to September 1, now out of San Diego. There are still slots left so contact Al Hermer or Mike Engle.
- Alaska Trip… Now is full but taking alternate names if someone would have to drop out. Trip is scheduled 7/22 thru 7/27. For those attending the Alaska Trip there will be a Pre-Trip meeting in the clubhouse on July 12 with pizza, drinks and desert. Bring your questions and receive final instructions. Contact Terry Tysseland if you have any questions.
- August 3-7 British Columbia Trip – John Lavarias says there is room for a couple more couples.
- Options Trips – all three are full per John Lavarias but contact him to be put on his alternate list.
- August 5-8 long Range Trip #2 – Full – contact Al Hermer & Mike Engle
- August 17 Club Trophy Shoot – Contact Paul Rybak
- August 18 – 20 Intra Club Tournament – Contact Larry Drum!! The flyers and rules are out and on the table in the front of the clubhouse or on the internet.
- SIGN UP Now for the 2023 Fresh Water Trip which will be in Lake El Salto and Lake Picachos with two and a half days of fishing in each lake. Sign up now on the SCTC website to secure a spot for next year. Talk to Paul McEachern, Greg Bohnet or Hank Brown.
- Couples Trip – November 12 to 17, 2022. Tamarindo, Costa Rica. Cor Claus is our host to 20 beautiful ocean front rooms with all the activities, fishing and endless cocktail parties you have come to expect from a SCTC Couples Trip. So far Cor has 14 couples signed up and we would like to see at least 20. Cor said today that in another two weeks he will open the trip to guests. Let’s get out of the country and relax in the sun and have fun with your best friends!! THIS WILL BE THE TRIP OF THE YEAR!! Contact Cor Claus. See Flyer below……
- Guest Speaker July 7th will be Paul McEachern with a Tackle Talk.
Comments are closed.