April 22nd 2021
Dennis Friedman called the meeting to order at 12:25 pm with more than
50 members in attendance.
• Dennis Friedman
Welcome back to the re-opening of the Club in our 96th year
• NO MEETING APRIL 30 DUE TO SPRING BASS
• COUPLES TRIP IN 2022 – Terry said we are starting our preplanning for 2022 and asked if anyone has a suggestion for a great
place to go next year??? We have had some great couple’s trips in
the past!!! I know our well-traveled members have been to some
great places that we don’t know about as a group………………..so
please let me know if you have a suggestion for a spectacular
couple’s trip for next year.
• New Member Orientation will be held at the Club on May 26th
Time TBD. Any questions please contact Geoff Magnall
• At todays meeting we will be introducing 6 new members sponsored
by Phil Mazzocco.
Members not seen in a while:
• Jeff Stone
• Greg Guest
• Keith Pringle
• Steve Sproule
• Kevin Merrill
Guest: Doug Drummond brought a guest Glen Gruen who is a retired LA
fireman and longtime friend. Welcome Glen!!
Good Cheer Report:
• Al Herzog reports that he talked to Harry Westover and Harry is
• Frank Easterbrook is also doing better and is accepting calls.
949 275 7822
• Gus Chabre announced Curt Herberts is doing better. Recent
procedures are having positive results.
Weight Slips: Alex McKeever, new member, caught a 4.2 Calico
Bass on 20# mono using a swimbait off PV
• Golf Tournament… The Golf Tournament was a great success. Jeff
Clary the Chairman reports the winning team was -9 under par
with a round of 61. The winning team members were Greg
Whitaker, Jerry Feller, Mike Contino and Jerry Pontius. Congrats
Jeff for a great tournament and congrats to the winning team.
• Options Trip… John Lavarias reports after making squid the boat
headed for SBI in hopes for Seabass. Captain worked very hard
for the guy’s but did not connect with the gray ghost. They were
successful with various rock fish.
• Spring Bass Tournament… starts Friday April 30th at 12:00am.
We have a total of 17 boats with 64 anglers participating. Dinner
and Awards are to be held Saturday at Whites Landing. Please
note, you must be on the pier at Whites Landing by 5pm with your
weight slips on Saturday May 1st. We will not be able to receive
weight slips by e-mail or text as cell service is unreliable in Whites
Cove. The weather looks good for the event and the island is
coming alive with squid reported both on the Frontside, West
Cove, Mills Landing, China Point and the Palisades. Have fun and
• Freshwater Trip… Greg Bohnet and Paul McEachren report that
cost details have been settled with Anglers Inn and the trip is
scheduled to take place May 8th. Stay tuned for announcements
regarding the bus transport schedule to the airport.
• Fish the Wall and Burger Bash… The flyers are out for both. The
fish the wall tournament is to be a 24 hour tournament with lines
in June 4th at 5pm and lines out at June 5th at 5pm. A new prize this
year will be a total weight of 5 bass. All anglers can contribute
towards the 5 fish total. Awards will take place during the Burger
Bash on Sunday. Please contact Tani Poe for more info, 562-650
- The Burger Bash will take place on following Sunday at the
Club. Mr Tom Dixon is back by popular demand and will be
manning the grill. Also if you have a car you would like to include
in the car show during the Burger Bash please bring it to the Club.
• Kids Trip… If you are going on the kids trip this year you will need
to act. Thom Ryan is requesting that your trip cost is due May 1st
This includes your hotel and fishing charter cost. For additional
information contact Thom at 949 278 0687 or Andrew 949 632
• Catalina Couples Trip… Cor has announced that the trip will be
held July 15th thru July 17th at Whites Landing Catalina. Cor has
promised that the Flyers will be out soon?????
• Alaska Trip… Terry reports the trip is full but is taking people for
the wait list. If you are interested, contact Terry Tysseland 714 791
• Couples Trip Costa Rica. Cor has opened the trip to friends or
guest. There is room for a few more couples if you have an interest.
Also he has made accommodations with the resort for couples who
may want to arrive earlier or stay longer at the same room rate at
• Cedros Trip… The trip is full but Mike Engle is taking Backups.
If you have an interest contact Mike 949 266 7804
• Stagg Trip… The Stagg Trip is scheduled for October the 1st thru
the 2nd. Flyers to be out soon… Mark your Calendars!!!
• IFGA Swordfish Tournament…Is to be held November 11 thru the
. At this point it is going to be limited to 25 boats. For those
interested contact Gus Chabre 949 610 5610.
New Member Introductions
At today’s lunch Phil Mazzocco introduced 6 new members.
First to be introduced was Erin Brady. Erin grew up in Alamitos
Heights. Erin is a Contractor with his business Brady
Construction and Design in Signal Hill. He has worked as a
deckhand on a number of Sportboats and has been fishing for a
long time. Erin now resides in Seal Beach. Welcome Erin!!!!
Next up was Davis Aldano. Davis grew up in Long Beach and
worked as a deckhand/cook and Captain for years. Davis
currently is living in Los Alamitos and is a Vice President of
Finance at Merrill Lynch Davis fishes 100 days a year average.
Davis Welcome Davis!!!!
Chad Smith. Chad has known Phil for 30 years. Chad has fished
and been around boats working as a deckhand as well helped
build and run the San Diego based sport boat Intrepid. Chad is
currently and investor. Welcome Chad!!!!
Erik Everson (AKA SPICY) grew up in Seal Beach. Erik started
fishing in 2001 on his current boat Chaos. Erik business in
Everson Spice Company on Long Beach. Welcome Erik!!!!
Thomas Hale is a lifelong Long Beach native. Thomas grew up
fishing Alamitos Bay and Long Beach Harbor fishing from a 13 foot
whaler. Thomas joined the family business but now has changed his
focus to wheel design. Currently Thomas fishes a 2013 24 ft center
console which has broadened his love for the sport. Welcome
Alex McKeever grew up in Long Beach fishing since 10 years old.
He also knows Phil well. Alex worked as a pinhead on sport boats
until he got a 15 foot Whaler and begin to venture out to Catalina,
where after fishing and placing 5th or above they finally won the
Western Outdoors White Seabass tournament in their 4th attempt.
Now a Senior Project Manager for KDC Construction, Alex is
looking forward for the opportunity to share his knowledge with
others. Welcome Alex!!!!
With no other Business the meeting was called to close.