Welcome to the Southern California Tuna Club in it’s 97th year. Terry Tysseland called the Meeting to Order at 12:05PM with 20 members in attendance. The lighter than normal attendance was due to a number of members out fishing ……..and that’s the way it is supposed to be!!
- The Next Evening Meeting is 8/25/22.
- Today we honored Terry Barkis with a Moment Of Silence and the traditional Ringing Of The Bell. Terry was a Life Member since 1966 and he passed away last Sunday in his home in Norco, CA.
Dick Bell eulogized Terry as a great guy, great fisherman and a great friend. He graduated from Stanford where he played football. Dick said Terry’s wife, Dianne, called him to let him know that Terry had passed peacefully in his sleep.
Next Mike Mundy eulogized Terry as a long time member who moved to Las Bralis, Mexico very near where the annual Kid’s Trip is held. He remembers Terry walking from his home down to the Kid’s Trip functions. He and Pam going to dinner at Terry and Dianne’s house in Las Bralis where he had a closet with over 100 Reyn Spooner shirts on display. They moved back to Norco, CA for health reasons.
At 12:25PM the membership had a Moment Of Silence followed by the traditional Ringing Of The Bell.
- John Lavarias has received his order for blue AFCO shirts for our inventory. The shirts are blue and logoed and available to purchase at the bargain price of $20.00. They can be purchased online and picked up at the next Thursday’s meeting.
There have been changes to the Club Calendar of Events:
- Past Presidents and Sportsman Dinner is now 11/3/22
- Couples Trip is now scheduled for 11/12 thru 11/17/22 – see details below in Future Events section.
- The Tom and Jerry Party is now scheduled 12/15/2022
- Long Range Trip#1 on the Pacific Dawn which had been scheduled for May 28 to 31st from Ventura has been postponed due to bad weather. The new dates are August 29 to September 1st from Fisherman’s Landing in San Diego.
Members not seen for a while: None
Good Cheer Report:
- Al Hermer – has spinal stenosis and will be having a surgery for a spinal fusion as soon as he can have it scheduled. He is in significant pain. We are holding a good thought for Al’s surgery and a speedy and complete recovery.
New Members: None.
- Don Herman – caught a 4.6# Calico Bass on the Hermelia, captained by Don Herman at Catalina.
- Tyler Jackson- reports that the lake at Mammoth is so low that you can’t launch a boat. They are having monsoon rains this year delivering 2” of water in 24 hours several days in a row. The good news is that this season of rain may be what is needed to fill the lake and make for good fishing this winter.
- John Lavarias – reports the catching of 2 Dorado at the 62.
- Larry Krueger – reports the Options caught 15 YFT and 12 YT
- Alaska Trip – had 20 members depart John Wayne Airport on July 22 for 4 days of fishing near Craig, Alaska. Everyone caught their daily limits of Salmon, Halibut and Ling Cod unfortunately upon returning home on July 27 several tested positive for Covid as well. Everyone brought home 2 fifty pound boxes of frozen fillets. Results of the tournament: Largest Salmon – Terry Tysseland; Largest Halibut – Ken Huss; Largest Other – Steve Gammer and winner of the Top Angler/JackAnderson Trophy was Steve Gammer.
- BC Trip – had 12 couples headed to Queen Charlotte Sound on August 3rd for a great trip of fishing in the Pacific Northwest. The fishing limits in Canada are more generous than in Alaska. Unfortunately upon returning home on August 7th several tested positive for Covid.
- Pacific Dawn Long Range Trip #2 – had 8 members headed to San Diego on August 5th for a three day trip on the Pacific Dawn. One of the captains was in a car wreck on the day of departure on the way to the boat and had to cancel causing an emergency call out for another second captain. The trip was delayed until the next day and cut short by a day however they did catch enough fish that everyone brought home a nice catch. Special thanks to Ken Calof and Hank Brown for chairing the event in Al Hermer’s and Mike Engle’s absence due to medical reasons.
- August 17 Club Trophy Shoot – Contact Paul Rybak
- August 18 – 20 Intra Club Tournament – Contact Larry Drum!! The flyers and rules are out and on the table in the front of the clubhouse or on the internet for the 65th SCTC Intra-Club Tournament. Tuna fishing really blew up last week with a lot of boats fishing the west end of Catalina, 125 and 172. Some BFT have been reported off shore at Palos Verde. Almost 20 Tuna were weighed in last week in Avalon with the largest 150#s. BFT have also been spotted off the East end of Catalina, Mackerel Bank, Avalon Bank and a few miles from Church Rock. BOTTOM LINE IT DOESN’T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS!! If you need a boat or crew please call Larry Drum so he can hook you up. AND DON’T FORGET THE POST TRIP DINNER/PARTY AT LARRY’S HOUSE IN AVALON ON SATURDAY AUGUST 20TH!!!
- Long Range Trip #1 – 8/29 to 9/1 – currently full but call Mike Engle or Al Hermer to get on the alternate list.
- Kid’s Night At The Club – 9/14tat the clubhouse. Please call Chris Scott and KC Couthrup to reserve a spot. Pizza and soft drinks will be served and along with games. The Awards from the Kids Trip will be announced and handed out.
- Cedros Trip – 9/16 to 9/21. Call Mike Engle or Al Hermer for details.
- Options Trip #2 – 9/21 to 9/22 – Trip is currently full but call John Lavarias to get on the alternate list.
- Fall Stag Trip – 9/29 to 10/1 – Call Dennis Friedman or Joe Vicic for details . Flyer will be out in near future.
- Options Trip #3 – 10/19 to 10/20 – Trip is currently full but call John Lavarais to get on the alternate list.
- Past Presidents/Sportsman Dinner – 11/3 Chairman Hank Brown – details and flyer will be out in the near future.
- Tom and Jerry Party – 12/15 -Chairman Terry Bersuch and Crew – Details and flyer will be pout in near future.
- SIGN UP Now for the 2023 Fresh Water Trip which will be in Lake El Salto and Lake Picachos with two and a half days of fishing in each lake. Sign up now on the SCTC website to secure a spot for next year. Talk to Paul McEachern, Greg Bohnet or Hank Brown.
- Couples Trip – November 12 to 17, 2022. Tamarindo, Costa Rica. Cor Claus is our host to 20 beautiful ocean front rooms with all the activities, fishing and endless cocktail parties you have come to expect from a SCTC Couples Trip. So far Cor has 15 couples signed up and we would like to see at least 20. Cor said the trip is now opened to guests. Let’s get out of the country and relax in the sun and have fun fishing and plying golf with your best friends!! THIS WILL BE THE TRIP OF THE YEAR!! Contact Cor Claus. See Flyer below……
- Guest Speaker: –
With no other business the meeting was concluded at 1:30PM
Comments are closed.