Weekly Updates August 19th 2021
Dennis Friedman called the meeting to order at 12:20 pm with 27 in attendance.
- Dennis Friedman
Welcome back to the Southern California Tuna Club in our 97th year.
- Tom Dixon has the new membership cards and Year Books. See Tom for yours…
- Dr. Chris Lowe is requesting Members save Tuna heads for his research. The heads can be frozen or fresh. Contact Chris if you have Tuna heads.
- Ken Huss is putting together an OPTIONS trip September 1st thru 3rd.
Contact Ken if you are interested.
- The AWARDS DINNER is next week Thursday 8/26/21 Evening. There will be no Lunch Meeting next Thursday!! Dinner will be catered by Chris Scott wife. Raffle Prizes will be presented throughout the event. Come celebrate the Awards for our 2020 outstanding Anglers.
Signup on the Club Website or contact Chris Halliday.
- Corrections from last week’s Weekly Updates…
- Bob Luskin took a fall, received a gash to his head, tore up his shoulder. Bob is to have surgery the week of the 23rd.
- Bob Hetzler took a fall but is doing o.k.
- Jan Packard shot 25 out of 25 skeet at the Trophy Shoot this year.
Members not seen in a while: 0
- Paul McEachern introduced Graham Gill. Welcome Graham!!!
Good Cheer Report:
- Pres Smith is scheduled to have heart surgery next week at Cedars Sinai Medical Center.
- Jeff Billings caught a 15lb 3oz Dorado on 30lb dacron using a sardine.
- Fox Boswell caught a 8lb 9oz Dorado on 16lb mono using a sardine.
- Tom Schlauch caught a 10lb 7oz Dorado on a daisy chain black and purple tuna jig. Tom was using 24kg mono.
- Frank Spina was fishing with Tom Schlauch and caught a 7ib 13oz Dorado on 24kg using the same daisy chain.
- Tom Schlauch fished Wednesday between the 152 to the 277. They were pulling a spreader bar and a daisy chain with black and purple tuna feathers. They caught 3 Dorado but could not get any of the Bluefin to bite. On their way home they crossed the Avalon Bank which was loaded with bait and no sign of tuna. Tom states they could not go more than 100 yards without running over another baitfish school. Tom also reports good Dorado and Yellowtail fishing on the 182, also large Bluefin on the 499 and lots of Yellowtail at San Clemente.
- Fox Boswell and Jeff Billings went fishing Tuesday, they were fishing southeast of Catalina and found a nice kelp which was holding. They managed a couple of Dorado. With lots of skill and 3 attempts Fox managed to gaff Jeffs fish. ?????
- Phil Capriccio reports taking a recent trip on the Limitless and catching 20 tuna and this 190lb Bluefin.
- Trophy Shoot… Paul Rybak reports a great event with 11 members and 7 guest attending. Paul gave a special thanks to Don First, Jan Packard, Paul Harris and SKB events.
Everybody attending received a prize with Tyler Jackson taking 1st place shooting 88 out of 100, Don First taking 2nd shooting 82 out of 100 and Jan Packard taking 3rd shooting 78 out of 100.
In Trap Jeff Magnall shot 24 out of 25.
In Skeet Jan Packard shot 25 out of 25.
In sporting clay Tyler Jackson shot 44 out of 50.
All enjoyed a Taco Bar lunch.
Intra Club Tournament…
- Larry Drum announced the Intra-Club Tournament will be held August 20 & 21st. Start registering your boats and crews on the Club Website now. Once on the website, go to the Event and sign up. Should you have any questions contact Larry Drum.
- *******AWARDS DINNER*******
Steaks & Raffle Prizes! Don’t miss this one!!! August 26th doors open at 5pm… Sign up on the Club Website or contact Chris Halliday for any questions. Guests are welcome…The event will be held at the Club. Come honor the outstanding catches for 2020.
- Cedros/ Sept 17th… The Cedros trip is sold out. However, Mike is also taking backups. Should you have any interest or questions please contact Mike Engle 949-266-7804.
- Stagg Trip…The Stagg Trip is on!!! October 1st to the 2nd Joe Vicic has promised and EPIC Event. Lots of prizes up for grabs!!! Scheduled to take place October 1st and 2nd out of Cherry Cove Catalina. Check website for info. Flyers are out and on the Web Site under events. Signup soon. ….NOTE…. Contact Fred Westberg in you require a mooring.
- Couples Trip Costa Rica December 1st thru 6th.
Cor reports that last Sunday the CDC put out a travel advisory for Costa Rica. They do not recommend travel to this country due to Covid. Therefor the Costa Rica Couple trip has been cancelled at this time. Cor will be working to return deposits to anyone who had paid. Cor has been in contact with the Hotel. They state they will be refunding any deposits which they are holding. When these deposits are returned Cor will advise members and schedule refunds. Also, some deposits which are currently held by the Club will also be refunded.
IFGA Swordfish Tournament… UPDATE!!!!
No Club Team… Max 4 anglers per boat. Fishing the 12th & 13th
of November. Catch & Release prizes for fish under 100lbs, weigh stations (San Diego, Newport, and Ventura) for fish over 100lbs. $300.00 dollars per angler. IFGA rules apply. Contact Gus Chabre for info… Also, if you are looking to fill out your crew for this event contact Tom Dixon as Tom and his son looking to participate.
2nd Pacific Dawn 2 ½ Day
- The second Pacific Dawn trip is scheduled October 17th thru the 19th. Al Hermer reports a couple of spots available. Cost is $1,150 dollars. Ifd you interested on going contact Al Hermer or Mike Engle ASAP as spots are expected to fill up soon!
Their being no other business the meeting was adjourned.