Welcome to the Southern California Tuna Club in it’s 98th year – our founding document shows our actual birthday as August 15th, 1925. Terry Tysseland called the evening Meeting to Order at 6:00PM with 31 members in attendance.
- I am sorry to bring bad news today. Gary Tuckers son of 50 years young passed away after complications due to motor cycle accident. No death certificate has yet been issued.
- The second bad news story, I got a call from Greg Owens yesterday that long time Senior Member since 1981 Tom Scott passed away on Wednesday 8/24/22 afternoon of complications due to Covid. He had skin cancer for over five years where there have been multiple operations and he he’s had glass particles in his lungs (pulmonary fibrosis) and other issues. Covid put him in the hospital and then issues began to compound. He was in the hospital for over a month and recently in the ICU at UCI. We will ‘Ring the Bell’ for Tom at our 9/8/22 meeting with Greg Owens doing the eulogy. Tom passed away way too soon and will be sorely missed.
- John Lavarias has deal for a logoed AFCO jacket sale. You can order it on line and there is deadline of September 16th. The jackets are grey and logoed and available to purchase at the bargain price. They can be purchased online and or at the next Thursday’s meeting. See John. He will be sending a follow-up email with final cost and payment details.
- We are running a deficit year to date of $1,700 for lunches. Please RSVP to Ken Calof weekly of your intention to have lunch and please pay for your lunch so we can make up this deficit by year end. Also, when RSVPing please just ‘Reply to Ken’ so the email goes just to Ken and not ‘Reply All’ so it is sent to the entire club filling up many ‘Inboxes” unnecessarily. Thank you for your attention to this request.
- Jim Bateman has a 2KG rod that was donated by Mas Itano to be sold ‘to the highest bidder’ or ‘$50 and take the rod home’. The proceeds go to the Foundation. This is a great rod for the Dorado they are catching now.
- Caution to all the members that the intention of the member website is not for political purposes and please allow this to be a request to all members to refrain from putting political posts on the website. Thank you very much.
- Alaska Post Trip Party was held on Tuesday, August 23 in our clubhouse with cocktails at 5:00PM and pizza, salad, desert and drinks were provided complements of Jack Anderson. At the meeting 17 slots of 20 available were filled for next year’s trip. As has been past tradition, we will fill up the trip with members that went last year first and then open up the trip to other members. Please let Terry know if you want to get on the alternate list.
There have been changes to the Club Calendar of Events:
- Past Presidents and Sportsman Dinner is now 11/3/22
- Couples Trip is now scheduled for 11/12 thru 11/17/22 – see details below in Future Events section.
- The Tom and Jerry Party is now scheduled 12/15/2022
- Long Range Trip#1 on the Pacific Dawn which had been scheduled for May 28 to 31st from Ventura has been postponed due to bad weather. The new dates are August 29 to September 1st from Fisherman’s Landing in San Diego.
Members not seen for a while:
- Charlie Rivers
- Tani Poe
- Press Smith
- Brian Fournier
- Chris Halliday
- Pat Colucci
- Jim Bateman
- Long time past member since 1998, Cuyler Johnson now residing in Austin Texas had dinner with us on Thursday evening. He is thinking about rejoining as a non-resident member. Welcome back??
- Jim Bateman introduced Ed Zietner. Welcome Ed.
- Chris Halliday introduced Jason Nonan. Welcome Jason.
Good Cheer Report:
- Al Hermer – has spinal stenosis and will be having a surgery on August 30th for a spinal fusion. He is in significant pain but says he can’t wait to go fishing. We are holding a good thought for Al’s surgery and a speedy and complete recovery. He says to tell everyone that ‘he will be back.’
- Gary Whitener – had to be air-vac’ed home from Sitka, Alaska where he fell in the shower on his boat. It seems his medication got messed up and he is OK now.
- Bob Briggs – still in significant pain and going to a doctor for another opinion for his ongoing treatment.
New Members: None.
- Tani Poe – 8/23/22 – 10#8oz Dorado – boat Bluewater – Captain Tani Poe.
- Mike Engle – 8/21/22 – 11.1 # Dorado – boat Cloud Break – Captain Fox Boswell.
- Mike Engle – 8/21/22 – 8.8# Dorado – boat Cloud Break – Captain Fox Boswell.
- Tani Poe – 8/23/22 – 8#3oz Dorado – boat Bluewater – Captain Tani Poe.
- Tani Poe – 8/23/22 – 10#4oz Dorado – boat Bluewater – Captain Tani Poe.
- Andrew Weiske – 8/21/22 – 180# Marlin est. tag and release – boat Jingo – Captain Doug Williams.
- Andrew Weiske – 8/21/22 – 5# Dorado – boat Jingo – Captain Doug Williams.
- All awards must wait 15 days to clear Tackle Committee review.
- Tani Poe and his daughter went out on his boat outside the oil rigs where there were over 20 boats and all were busy catching fish. Tani and his daughter caught 6 Dorado.
- Ron Herbst – went out around the oil rigs but couldn’t get the fish to bite.
- Rick Whearty – went on a 6-pak charter to San Clementi and they caught 4 BFT of the 80# range in 40 minutes and then the bite was off.
- Bob Hetzler – reports that one boat caught 6 BFT off the west End of Santa Catalina.
- Chris Hlliday – went fishing in the Outer Banks, North Carolina. Their captain said it was the worst fishing in 25 years. They did manage to catch some Red Drum.
- Larry Drum – provides the following results of the IntraClub Tournament. There was only one first-place prize but is giving the top 3 in case that is how the betting goes.
- Dan Mundy – Sea Ya Mundy
- Don Herman – Hermelia
- Jan Martin 13.4#
- Larry Krueger 2.7#
- Larry Krueger 2.6#
- John Berkovest 12.3#
- Jan Martin 12.1#
- Chris Scott 9.2#
Larry is still waiting for more fees to come in so by next Thursday he should have the awards ready.
- Long Range Trip #1 – 8/29 to 9/1 – on the Pacific Dawn is currently full but call Mike Engle to get on the alternate list.
- Kid’s Night At The Club – 9/14at the clubhouse. Please call Chris Scott and KC Coultrup to reserve a spot. Pizza and soft drinks will be served and along with games. The Awards from the Kids Trip will be announced and handed out.
- Cedros Trip – 9/16 to 9/21. Call Mike Engle for details.
- Options Trip #2 – 9/21 to 9/22 – Trip is currently full but call John Lavarias to get on the alternate list.
- Fall Stag Trip – 9/29 to 10/1 – Call Dennis Friedman or Joe Vicic for details. Flyer are out and call Fred Westburg if you need a mooring.
- Options Trip #3 – 10/19 to 10/20 – Trip is currently full but call John Lavarais to get on the alternate list.
- Past Presidents/Sportsman Dinner – 11/3 Chairman Hank Brown – details and flyer will be out in the near future.
- Tom and Jerry Party – 12/15 -Chairman Terry Bersuch and Crew – Details and flyer will be out in near future.
- SIGN UP Now for the 2023 Fresh Water Trip which will be in Lake El Salto and Lake Picachos with two and a half days of fishing in each lake. Sign up now on the SCTC website to secure a spot for next year. Talk to Paul McEachern, Greg Bohnet or Hank Brown.
- Couples Trip – November 12 to 17, 2022. Tamarindo, Costa Rica. Cor Claus is our host to 20 beautiful ocean front rooms with all the activities, fishing and endless cocktail parties you have come to expect from a SCTC Couples Trip. So far Cor has 15 couples signed up and we would like to see at least 20. Cor said the trip is now opened to guests. Let’s get out of the country and relax in the sun and have fun fishing and plying golf with your best friends!! THIS WILL BE THE TRIP OF THE YEAR!! Contact Cor Claus. See Flyer below……
- Guest Speaker: – Next Thursday Hank Brown will present Tackle Talk #3 on the possibility of changing the SCTC Bylaws to IGFA Rules.
With no other business the meeting was concluded at 7:15PM