Weekly Updates August 5th, 2021
Dennis Friedman called the meeting to order at 12:25 pm with 37 in attendance.
- Dennis Friedman
Welcome back to the Southern California Tuna Club in our 96th year.
- Tom Dixon has the new membership cards and Year Books. See Tom for yours…
- Don Herman announced the hoist at the fuel dock has been repaired.
Members not seen in a while: BG Williams and Lou Earlabaugh. Welcome Back!
- Gus Chabre introduced Jim Cochran.
- John Trapani introduced Matt Cample.
Good Cheer Report:
- Gus announced Curt Herberts is going to the Doctor today to get a final release. He will be fishing the Stag Trip. Great News!!
- Andrew Weiske had lunch with Frank Pratto and is doing well. He is taking calls from members, so give him a call!!!
- Ken Huss fished the Pacific Queen and caught a Bluefin 54.4lbs on 24kg using a sardine. Ken also caught a 45.2 lb and a 105lb Bluefin on 15kg with a sardine.
- On the Jingo Andrew Weiske caught a 13.2 lb Dorado using a cedar plug on15kg. The Jingo also caught, tagged and released an approximate 100lb Stripe Marlin on a Flying fish under the kite.
- Hello Dennis,
- I will not be at the meeting on Thursday to give my fish report or submit my weight slip, or to appeal to the membership to submit their order for the Eddie Bauer Performance fishing shirt. Therefore, I’m sending you this information to relay in Thursday meeting.
- Fish Report: On Friday 7-30-21 Don First, Jim Bateman, Mike Leininger, Lynn Fasnacht, Mike Kenyon, and I fished on an overnighter aboard the 6-pack charter boat “Options”. A decision was made to fish Catalina as the weather conditions were not good to fish the outer Islands. We started on the back side of the island east of Cat Harbor and made squid where we stayed and fished. Around 3 am and upon my first drop of a White Jig and squid combo, I hooked and landed ( with the assistance of the crew), and released an estimated 100lb Black Sea Bass. Then around 6 am I caught a 37lb Yellowtail, ( weighed on a certified scale). I shared a photo of the fish with the membership. I will add that the catch did not conform to the SCTC rules…but it will taste just as good.
- Later in the morning, Mike Leininger landed a beautiful 27lb Halibut, which a photo was shared with the membership. ( May be submitting his own fish report and weight slip)
- Throughout the day we moved from spot to spot catching 2 additional legal Halibut, Sand Bass, Sheepshead, and other bottom dwellers. But for the most part the catching was very slow.
- Announcement Request: Please remind the members of the special order for the Eddie Bauer Performance Fishing Shirts. They will only have the next 2 weeks to submit their orders before the August 15 deadline. There are forms on the counter, However, I will also resend the email blast with the order form attached as a reminder.
- Chuck Becker fished Montana with Martha. Day time temperatures were 100* up too 107*. They flyfished 3 different rivers with mixed results. The high temps were affecting the fish. They did catch a couple of 20 inch Brown Trout as well as others.
- Fox Boswell Traveled to San Quintin Mexico. The road was in great shape but coming back across the border was a challenge. While fishing the wind was blowing everyday which limited their fishing.
While in San Quintin they went to the Old Mill for dinner. On the menu was White Seabass. The Chef invited them into the kitchen where they saw the biggest Seabass they had ever seen. Due to the wind they cut their trip short, but did manage some great rockcod.
Fox also shared that when trying to cross the border you may want to consider getting a medical pass which cuts down the time returning considerable. Contact Fox for details.
- Tom Schlauch has been fishing Mammoth regulary. He has been fishing the Hot Creek area for 1 to 1 ½ hour each morning for epic dry fly fishing. Sometimes you have to wait for the hatch but the fishing is great.
- Andrew Weiske and Doug Williams fished Sunday. They started circling the 14 mile bank and put out the Marlin jigs and a Cedar plug. After catching a Dorado they noticed lots of Dorado eating microbait. They put up a kite and flyer managing to catch a Marlin.
- The first long range trip on the Pacific Dawn leaves Friday the 6th for 2 ½ days of fishing.
- The Trophy Shoot is scheduled for August the 11th. So far, they have 11 people participating with room for more. Signup soon by going on the Club Website or contact Paul Rybak.
Intra Club Tournament…
- Larry Drum announced the Intra-Club Tournament will be held August 20 & 21st. Start registering your boats and crews on the Club Website now. Once on the website, go to the Event and sign up. Should you have any questions contact Larry Drum.
- *******AWARDS DINNER*******
Steaks & raffle prizes! Don’t miss this one!!! August 26th doors open at 5pm… Sign up on the Club Website or contact Chris Halliday for any questions.
- Cedros/ Sept 17th… The Cedros trip is sold out. However, Mike is also taking backups. Should you have any interest or questions please contact Mike Engle 949-266-7804.
- Stagg Trip…The Stagg Trip is on!!! Joe Vicic has promised and EPIC Event. Lots of prizes up for grabs!!! Scheduled to take place October 1st and 2nd out of Cherry Cove Catalina. Check website for info. Flyers are out and on the Web Site under events. Signup soon. ….NOTE…. Contact Fred Westberg in you require a mooring.
- Couples Trip Costa Rica December 1st thru 6th. Cor has opened the trip to friends or guest. There is room for a few more couples if you have an interest. Also, he has made accommodations with the resort for couples who may want to arrive earlier or stay longer at the same room rate at the Resort.
- IFGA Swordfish Tournament… UPDATE!!!!
No Club Team… Max 4 anglers per boat. Fishing the 12th & 13th
of November. Catch & Release prizes for fish under 100lbs, weigh stations (San Diego, Newport, and Ventura) for fish over 100lbs. $300.00 dollars per angler. IFGA rules apply. Contact Gus Chabre for info… Also, if you are looking to fill out your crew for this event contact Tom Dixon as Tom and his son looking to participate.
Other Announcements: Terry Krauss is putting together another trip to the East Cape. Hank:The Tuna, Dorado and Billfish are going crazy at the Cape so I have decided to put together my 4th trip this year to Rancho Leonero from Oct 17-21, 2021. American Airlines were offering flight for under $300. This trip is 5 days, 4 nights and 2 days fishing on Super Pangas. The trip to the Rancho offers A/C rooms and all your meals. If your interested please call Terry Krauss 562-400-2617 or firstname.lastname@example.org