Weekly Updates July 29th, 2021
Dennis Friedman called the meeting to order at 12:32 pm with 35members in attendance.
- Dennis Friedman
Welcome back to the Southern California Tuna Club in our 96th year.
- Tom Dixon has the new membership cards and Year Books. See Tom for yours…
Members not seen in a while: Chad Smith and Chris Halliday…
- Christopher Scott introduced his son Johnathan.
- Fred Westberg introduced his good buddy George Bush (comedian)
Good Cheer Report:
- Gus announced Curt Herbert’s is doing much better. He is going for walks, biking and should be fishing again soon. Great News!!
- Al Hermer reports that Harry Westover is doing better
- Paul McEachern caught a 21lb Yellowtail on 15kg at the mussel farm.
- Sean McEachern caught a 13lb Halibut on 10kg using a sardine at Cat Harbor.
- Gus Chabre fished the East End of Catalina with his grandsons for lots of Calico and Bonito.
- On Tuesday John Lavarias went looking for the Bluefin Tuna. They traveled from the 277 to the 181 finding 25 different foamers with two fish hooked and lost.
- Joe Vivic fished Loreto where they found droves of Dorado with as many as 100 fish around the Boat. Their guide caught a Dorado with a bare hook. Also, they caught a 275# to 300# estimated Black Marlin.
- Alaska Trip
Terry reports the trip was a great success. Fishing was very good with limits for all. The weather was great and Doug Drummond reports it was the trip of a lifetime. Some notable catches include Steve Gammers 165lb halibut, Stan Rosenblatt’s 96 lb halibut, a 40lb king, Tom Dixon’s 31 lb lingcod as well as many other great catches. (see attached photo’s).
- Dan Mundy spent two days fishing with his grandson and 4 other boys at Catalina. They started at the West End of Catalina for lots of Barracuda, Bass and Bonita. When they went to Avalon the boys saw the girls and fishing was over.
- John Lavarias took a group of members fishing on the Options leaving Thursday night, fishing Friday. John sent is pictures which are attached also. Look for John’s report next week.
Lots of things going on in the Month of August.
- The first long range trip on the Pacific Dawn leaves Friday the 6th for 2 ½ days of fishing.
- The Trophy Shoot is scheduled for August the 11th. So far, they have 11 people participating with room for more. Signup soon by going on the Club Website or contact Paul Rybak.
Intra Club Tournament…
- Larry Drum announced the Intra-Club Tournament will be held August 20 & 21st. Start registering your boats and crews on the Club Website now. Once on the website, go to the Event and sign up. Should you have any questions contact Larry Drum.
- *******AWARDS DINNER*******
Steaks & raffle prizes! Don’t miss this one!!! August 26th doors open at 5pm… Sign up on the Club Website or contact Chris Halliday for any questions.
- Cedros/ Sept 17th… The Cedros trip is sold out. However, Mike is also taking backups. Should you have any interest or questions please contact Mike Engle 949-266-7804.
- Stagg Trip…The Stagg Trip is on!!! Scheduled to take place October 1st and 2nd. Check website for info. Flyers out soon!!!NOTE…. Contact Fred Westberg in you require a mooring.
- Couples Trip Costa Rica December 1st thru 6th. Cor has opened the trip to friends or guest. There is room for a few more couples if you have an interest. Also, he has made accommodations with the resort for couples who may want to arrive earlier or stay longer at the same room rate at the Resort.
- IFGA Swordfish Tournament… UPDATE!!!!
No Club Team… Max 4 anglers per boat. Fishing the 12th & 13th
of November. Catch & Release prizes for fish under 100lbs, weigh stations (San Diego, Newport, and Ventura) for fish over 100lbs. $300.00 dollars per angler. IFGA rules apply. Contact Gus Chabre for info… Also, if you are looking to fill out your crew for this event contact Tom Dixon as Tom and his son looking to participate.
Other Announcements: Terry Krauss is putting together another trip to the East Cape. Hank:The Tuna, Dorado and Billfish are going crazy at the Cape so I have decided to put together my 4th trip this year to Rancho Leonero from Oct 17-21, 2021. American Airlines were offering flight for under $300. This trip is 5 days, 4 nights and 2 days fishing on Super Pangas. The trip to the Rancho offers A/C rooms and all your meals. If your interested please call Terry Krauss 562-400-2617 or firstname.lastname@example.org
With no other business the meeting was called to a close
Comments are closed.