Via Zoom January 13, 2022
Welcome to the Southern California Tuna Club in its 97th year Dennis Friedman called the meeting to order via Zoom at 11:30 am with 25
members in attendance
On August 26th during a regular Club Meeting Dennis Friedman announced the passing of Bill Ridgeway. Recently in the local Long Beach paper his Obituary was posted. Several members have noticed this and therefore Dennis called for a moment of silence honoring Bill Ridgeway once again. Jeff Stone shared that Bill had been a member since 1963 and was recognized as a Life Member.
Jeff recalled many long-range fishing trips as well as fishing trips to Canada. Bill had married his High School sweetheart Polly. Polly and Bill lived in Long Beach for many years. Bill passed at 89 years of age.
- All meetings for the month of January are to be Zoom meetings. No in person meetings are to be at the club due to the Omicron variant. Watch for weekly invitations and links for the Zoom meetings by email. We hope you will attend each week but will need as many members as possible to attend the Zoom Annual Business Meeting to be held January 27th. As the current Covid outbreak is a moving target, should there be any change, we will inform all members.
- The two following events have been postponed as follows.
- Chairman Orientation has been rescheduled to February 8th.
- The Club Pheasant Hunt scheduled is modified as follows. The event with overnight stay and dinner has been postponed. However, several members have chosen to continue to attend as individuals on the 17th as scheduled. This would be a day event only without overnight stays or meals provided by the Club. Please know that if you would like to continue with the Hunt you will need to contact the event site and make your reservations as individuals. Please contact Chuck for additional information.
- Annual Business Meeting via Zoom 1-27-2022. In advance of this meeting, you will receive an email containing the information needed including the Club financial report. This report is for your eyes only and should be shredded after you review. In addition, and as part of membership, Members are asked to vote on the agenda items during the meeting. If you cannot attend via Zoom, a Proxy Ballot will be sent as part of the email you receive. Please review and vote your Proxy Ballot if you cannot attend. You can email your Proxy Ballot to Hank Brown at email@example.com or if you choose to snail mail your ballot, send to Hank Brown 4231 Tulane Av Long Beach, Ca. 90808. Please allow enough time as your ballots are due 01-26-2022 or by 12:00 noon by email.
- Paul McEachern announced that the Club has received Berkeley Big Game line from Australia and is now available for members to purchase. The line has already been tested and ready for use by members.
- John Lavarias is once again the Clothing Chairman, (ragman), and is encouraging 2022 Event Chairman to include Club clothing as part of their event. John stated that special incentives or custom orders may be available.
Members not seen for a while:
- Skip Smith and Frank Pratto. Welcome guy’s
Good Cheer Report:
- Hank Brown reports that Mike Brown is progressing very well with his rehab. He is expected to leave the hospital in a couple of weeks and continue his rehab on an outpatient basis. Thanks to those members who may have donated blood on his behalf.
Weight Slips: None
Fish Reports: Jeff Stone fished Alamitos Bay for a 4.2 Calico Bass and a couple of small Sand bass.
Official Transfer of the Gavel
In preparation to turning over the gavel to SCTC New President Terry Tyssseland, Dennis thanked Board Members for their support, Club Committee members and past Presidents. With that said Dennis introduced Terry Tysseland, the 2022 SCTC President.
With this introduction Terry Tysseland officially begin as SCTC 2022 President by introducing the new Executive Board, Hank Brown Vice President, Andrew Weiske Secretary, and Joe Vicic Treasure. Additionally, Terry introduced 2022 Board Members Dennis Friedman, Dick Bell, Cor Claus, Larry Drum, and new Board Member Tom Schlauch.
Terry Continued his remarks by recognizing SCTC past Presidents, past Board of Directors and Committee Chairmen.
Terry stated that although 2022 is starting out much like 2021 with Zoom
meetings due to Covid, he is optimistic to return to normal sometime early 2022 with in-person meetings and a full slate of Events. In closing Terry stated that we have a great Board with loads of experience with total dedication to SCTC.
- Kids Trip Thom Ryan reports the Kids Trip is going well. Look for additional information coming soon.
- Club Pheasant Hunt 1/17/22. Postponed. But a day Hunt is possible for individual members. Contact Chuck Becker
- Annual Business meeting 1/27/22
- Terry Tysseland announced the Ladies Cocktail Party has tentatively been re-scheduled for March 26th. Stay tuned for updates. The cost is $250.00 dollars per couple.
- Freshwater Trip Paul McEachern reports he still has spots available for the May 16th thru the 20th trip to Lake El Salto. If you have an interest in catching big freshwater bass, this place is a must! Great food, guided boats and just a lot of fun.
- Couples Trip is scheduled for the end of April. Chairperson is traveling to Florida to scout Hotels and will have announcements on his return.
- Texas Pig Hunt…John Lavarias still has openings for the Texas pig hunt. The trip is scheduled for April 22nd and April 25th. Contact John for additional info.
- Also, John had a trip to Queen Charlotte Lodge 8/3/2022 thru 8/7/2022. John has room for 6 more couples…There is fishing for those interested and eco trips all set in a beautify Contact John for more info.
- Spring Bass. Spring Bass Chairman Cor Claus is looking for a great event again in 2022. The Event this year is scheduled for the 2nd weekend in June which should provide for better fishing and better weather. Mark your Calendars as you will not want to mis this one!!!!
With no other business the meeting was adjourned as 12:15