Welcome to the Southern California Tuna Club in it’s 97th year. Terry Tysseland called the Meeting to Order at 12:25PM with 37 members in attendance.
- The Next Evening Meeting is 7/28/22
- John Lavarias is not able to attend lunch today but Terry and Hank are taking orders for shirts in his absence. He will fulfill the orders when he returns. Thanks John.
There have been changes to the Club Calendar of Events
- Past Presidents and Sportsman Dinner is now 11/3/22
- Couples Trip is now scheduled for 11/12 thru 11/17/22 – see details below in Future Events section.
- The Tom and Jerry Party is now scheduled 12/15/2022
- Long Range Trip on the Pacific Dawn which had been scheduled for May 28 to 31st has been postponed due to bad weather. The new dates are August 31 to September 2nd from Fisherman’s Wharf from San Diego.
Members not seen for a while:
- Pres Smith
- John Whitaker
- Geoff Magnall
- Frank Colonna
- Welcome Back Guys!!!
- Steve Sproule introduced Mike Bigalow.
- Don First – introduced Jerry Borisy.
- Larry Kruger introduced Adain King
Good Cheer Report:
- Pres Smith is in the house. Welcome back!!
- Curt Herberts – is having shoulder surgery tomorrow. We wish you a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.
New Members: None.
Weight Slips: None
- Curt Herberts was at June Lake with his grandson who he just bought his first fishing rod and reel for. They had great fun fishing off the dock and grandson was proud to have caught more fish than Curt …….but Curt was more proud! Thanks for the gr4eat story Curt.
- Hank Brown – bought a new trolling motor for his boat and took it to the Izors for a test run. All ran well and he caught a few Barracuda and Sand Bass.
- Jeff Clary – went to Lake Belisito trout fishing – all C&R and great fun fishing.
- Jeff Clary said he heard the fish are here. BFT at the 152 and the 277.
- Tom Dixon – was fishing at Flathead Lake and caught a 13 inch Lake Trout that weighed 7.5# – C&R.
- Cor and Lauren Claus – were fishing at Lingara Island, British Columbia last week. Fishing was slow but they caught a nice selection of Salmon, Halibut and Lingcod ………….and of course with Lauren catching the majority of the fish.
Past Events: None.
- Pacific Dawn Long Range Trip #1. The trip was scheduled to focus on white seabass departing from Venture May 30 to June 1st but had to be postponed due to weather to August 30 to September 1, now out of San Diego. There may still be slots left so contact Al Hermer or Mike Engle.
- Alaska Trip… was full but Lou Earlabaugh called me Friday to relate that his knee swelled up on his way back from Catalina on Thursday. When he got to his dock he couldn’t walk off the boat so they took him to the ER where he was admitted and then did surgery on Friday. He will be out six weeks. I put out an email blast for a replacement and Don Riggins from Spicewood Texas called and said he would like to go to Alaska and we are now working through the details. We are still taking alternate names if someone would have to drop out. Trip is scheduled 7/22 thru 7/27. For those attending the Alaska Trip there will be a Pre-Trip meeting in the clubhouse on July 12 with pizza, drinks and desert. Bring your questions and receive final instructions. Contact Terry Tysseland if you have any questions.
- August 3-7 British Columbia Trip – John Lavarias says there is room for a couple more couples.
- Options Trips – all three are full per John Lavarias but contact him to be put on his alternate list.
- August 5-8 long Range Trip #2 – Full – contact Al Hermer & Mike Engle
- August 17 Club Trophy Shoot – Contact Paul Rybak
- August 18 – 20 Intra Club Tournament – Contact Larry Drum!! The flyers and rules are out and on the table in the front of the clubhouse or on the internet.
- SIGN UP Now for the 2023 Fresh Water Trip which will be in Lake El Salto and Lake Picachos with two and a half days of fishing in each lake. Sign up now on the SCTC website to secure a spot for next year. Talk to Paul McEachern, Greg Bohnet or Hank Brown.
- Couples Trip – November 12 to 17, 2022. Tamarindo, Costa Rica. Cor Claus is our host to 20 beautiful ocean front rooms with all the activities, fishing and endless cocktail parties you have come to expect from a SCTC Couples Trip. So far Cor has 14 couples signed up and we would like to see at least 20. Cor said today that he will open the trip to guests. Let’s get out of the country and relax in the sun and have fun with your best friends!! THIS WILL BE THE TRIP OF THE YEAR!! Contact Cor Claus. See Flyer below……
- Guest Speaker – Paul McEachern with a Tackle Talk. This is the first talk of four bringing up for discussion the possibility of changing our ByLaws regarding fishing tackle rules to incorporate the IGFA rules. Discussion will continue formally in three more Tackle Talks by Directors Tom Schlauch, Hank Brown and Andrew Weiske respectively ……….and informally until year end. At some point when the time is right we will consider whether there is enough consensus to make a formal motion to change the SCTC Bylaws to incorporate the IGFA rules. The mechanism to make this amendment of the Bylaws would be to have members vote at the next Annual Business Meeting in January 2023 when we would have a quorum present. Thanks Paul for presenting this and starting the discussion of the possibility of going to IGFA rules.