Weekly Updates July 15th, 2021
Dennis Friedman called the meeting to order at 12:30 pm with 32 members in attendance.
- Dennis Friedman
Welcome back to the Southern California Tuna Club in our 96th year.
- Tom Dixon has the new membership cards. See Tom for yours…
- Terry Tysseland reports Kim Kolpin from Bolsa Chica Wetlands Trust had contacted him with a request for help. Kim’s request was regarding the Elegant Tern’s which had abandoned their normal nesting location. The nesting colony was located on an island within the Bolsa Chica Wetlands. It is suspected they abandoned this island due to possible human activity. The nesting colony of Terns may have felt threatened and left the wetlands. The cause is currently under investigation.
Once the adult terns abandoned this location, they relocated to a barge in Long Beach Harbor and begin to hatch chicks. At about one week after hatching, the young chicks begin to move about their nesting areas and are falling from the barge. Due to the height of the barge the chicks cannot return to the nesting area, nor can the adult birds help get from the water. Whereas on the island in the Bolsa Chica Wetlands they can climb from the water and return to the adult’s care.
Following Terry’s suggestion, I contacted Kim Kolpin from the Bolsa Chica Wetland Trust, (714 846-1001) who redirected me to Melissa Loebi from the California Department of Fish and Wildlife, (714 421-8496). Melissa was very helpful in clarifying the type, duration and volunteer help needed. Melissa stated they are looking for volunteers with small boats (under 25 feet) who can commit to 4 to 6 hours shifts, 2 to 3 shifts weekly over approximately the next 3 weeks. The reason for the commitment is that training will be needed in bird handling to assure any birds retrieved from the waters surrounding the barge will result if a good outcome. Additional help is needed at International Bird Rescue (www.birdrescue.org) located in San Pedro with food preparation and any donations for offsetting cost of care for these chicks. Melissa request that anybody interested in helping contact Kylie Clatterbuck at IBR.
If you have any interest in helping in the effort to rescue these tern chicks, please contact Kylie Clatterbuck at 310 514-2573. They are currently overwhelmed at IBR so you may have to leave a message. You can also volunteer or donate by going to the website www.birdrescue.org.
Members not seen in a while: Monte Navarre, Casey Majewski
- Ron Herbst introduced Joe Pitro.
Good Cheer Report:
- Don First reports Vic Rains is about the same. He has begun a new therapy to keep fluid from building in his lungs. Send him jokes, emails or telephone.
- Chris Scott caught an 18.2lb Yellowtail on 15kg aboard the Amigo at SBI.
- Howard Pringle, Ray Ortiz, Ray’s Son, Father-in-law, Brother-in-law, Chris Scott, John Lavarias, and I believe some other club members were aboard the Amigo on a recent trip to Santa Barbara Island. The boat setup on the Southeast end of the Island along with 4 light boats. The skipper announced the bite would start at 4 am and last until 7am. Ray reports that after making some squid they readied for the 4am bite.
Just like clockwork the Seabass showed up with Ray’s son getting his first Seabass a 28lber, as well as Howard Pringle getting his first. After the Seabass bite slowed the Yellows up to 25lbs showed up. By 7am the bite had slowed, and the skipper took to boat out to the rock cod grounds for some huge reds.
Below is a picture of Howard’s first Seabass.
Howard 1st Seabass
- Paul McEachern went chasing the Bluefin for 4 days. They caught their first fish at the 302 at 9am which would also be their last Bluefin for the trip. They covered a lot of water from the 302, 289,43, up the canyon to the Mackerel Bank seeing lots of fish, just not a lot of biters.
Paul also reports that the 2022 El Salto trip has been set for May 16th thru the 20th. Contact Paul as these spots fill up quicky.
- I am not sure who reported fishing IZORS with Hookup and Colt Snipers baits for some large Sand Bass 4 to 5 lbs with good Calico fishing as well.
- Terry Krauss reports fishing at Rancho Leonero has been great. For 7 weeks straight they have caught 5 Tunas between 30 to 40 lbs, Dorado to 45lbs, and many Rooster fish with one at 100lbs.
- Terry reports everything is set to go.
Intra Club Tournament…
- Larry Drum announced the Intra-Club Tournament will be held August 20 & 21st. Start registering your boats and crews on the Club Website now. Once on the website, go to the Event and sign up. Should you have any questions contact Larry Drum.
Pacific Dawn Trip…
- Mike Engle reports both the August trip and the October 2 ½ fishing trips are full. However, he is taking anyone who may want to be put on the wait list. The cost is $1,167.00 plus $150.00 dollars for food. If you have an interest, please contact Mike Engle. NOTE…for those who are going on the August trip the balance is now due. Please make your check out to SCTC and send to Mike ASAP.
- Trophy Shoot is scheduled for August 11th It will be held at LA Clays. Everything is brand-new. Keep the date in mind and should have any questions contact Paul Rybak 562 201-19213
- Cedros/ Sept 17th… The Cedros trip is sold out. However, Mike is also taking backups. Should you have any interest or questions please contact Mike Engle 949-266-7804.
- Stagg Trip…The Stagg Trip is on!!! Scheduled to take place October 1st and 2nd. Check website for info. Flyers out soon!!!NOTE…. Contact Fred Westberg in you require a mooring.
- Couples Trip Costa Rica December 1st thru 6th. Cor has opened the trip to friends or guest. There is room for a few more couples if you have an interest. Also, he has made accommodations with the resort for couples who may want to arrive earlier or stay longer at the same room rate at the Resort.
- IFGA Swordfish Tournament… UPDATE!!!!
No Club Team… Max 4 anglers per boat. Fishing the 12th & 13th
of November. Catch & Release prizes for fish under 100lbs, weigh stations (San Diego, Newport, and Ventura) for fish over 100lbs. $300.00 dollars per angler. IFGA rules apply. Contact Gus Chabre for info… Also, if you are looking to fill out your crew for this event contact Tom Dixon as Tom and his son looking to participate.
A Special NOTE…. Next weeks meeting is a night meeting with a special guest promised….. Mark your calendars.
With no other business the meeting was called to a close
Comments are closed.