Weekly Updates June 10th, 2021
Dennis Friedman called the meeting to order at 12:42 pm with 32 members in attendance.
- Dennis Friedman
Welcome back to the Southern California Tuna Club in our 96th year
- Night meetings will once again begin the last Thursday of the month starting on June 24th. The Club will open at 5:30 with dinner by 6:00pm.
- Tom Dixon is requesting Members who may want to make changes to their photo, address, phone or email for the 2022 Yearbook, please contact him. 562 714-4199
Members not seen in a while: Norm Suma
- Tom Schlauch brought his son John…Welcome John
- Dennis Friedman brought long time friend J.D. Simpson…Welcome J.D.
Good Cheer Report:
- Curt Herberts is trying to get things worked out and staying positive. He has additional testing going. Gus says he may take calls.
- Frank Easterbrook continues to improve.
- Doug Williams on the Jingo was fishing Santa Cruise Island and landed two White Sea Bass on 6 thread linen line using squid. The fish weighed 30lbs and 27lbs. This should earn Doug a boat flag. Way to go Doug!!!
- Dave Woody can tell jokes and fish also???? Who knew? Dave caught a 4lb 2 oz Sand Bass, a 1.1 lb and a 1.9lb Calico on 20 lb test mono.
- Chris Scott managed to snag 4 Calico Bass… 2.9lbs, 1.8lb, another 1.8 lb and a 2.0lb on 10kg mono using squid.
- Fish Reports:
- Tom Schlauch and Frank Pina fished Providence Rode Island for Strippers and Blue Fish. The largest stripper was over 40 inches long. The Blue fish ate everything. The fishing and weather were great.
- Dan Mundy and Tom Schlauch fished Hot Creek and Bridge area with a guide and caught a lot of fish. They also noticed an Osprey which had a trout in its talons being chased by a Eagle. In the end the Osprey held on to its catch.
- Past Events:
The Fish the Wall tournament was well attended with anglers spread out from the coast to Catalina Island. Fishing overall was slow. Dave Woody caught the largest fish which was a 4.2 lb Sand Bass.
The Burger Bash was held the next day (Sunday) which was very well attended by Members, Wives, Kids and Grandkids. With the large turnout many Members stepped in to help at the event. All went smoothly and a shout out to all the members who helped.
- Kids Trip… Andrew and Thom report that 39 people have registered and PAID for the event. Everything is ready and the group is all set to go. Fishing is heating up…
- Catalina Couples Trip… Cor has announced that the trip will be held July 15th thru July 17th at Whites Landing Catalina. Flyers are now available and make sure guest have signed the release forms. Contact Cor Claus for info.
- Alaska Trip… Terry reports the trip is full but is taking people for the wait list. Also of importance if you have got your full vaccine shots, you will not need to get a covid test prior to leaving, however, you will need to bring your vaccine card as evidence.
- Intra Club Tournament…Larry Drum announced the Intra-Club Tournament will be held August 20 & 21st. Start registering your boats and crews on the Club Website now.
- Pacific Dawn Trip… Mike Engle reports both the August trip and the October 2 ½ fishing trips are full, however, he is taking anyone who may want to be put on the wait list. The cost is $1,167.00 plus $150.00 dollars for food. If you have an interest, please contact Mike Engle.
- Trophy Shoot is scheduled for August 11th It will be held at LA Clays. Everything is brand-new. Keep the date in mind and should have any questions contact Paul Rybak 562 201-19213
- Cedros/ Sept 17th… Mike Engle has one opening if anyone has an interest. He is also taking backups. Should you have any interest or questions please contact Mike Engle 949-266-7804.
- Stagg Trip…The Stagg Trip is on!!! Scheduled to take place October 1st and 2nd. Check website for info. Flyers out soon!!!
- Couples Trip Costa Rica December 1st thru 6th. Cor has opened the trip to friends or guest. There is room for a few more couples if you have an interest. Also, he has made accommodations with the resort for couples who may want to arrive earlier or stay longer at the same room rate at the Resort. Mike 949 266 7804
- IFGA Swordfish Tournament… UPDATE!!!!
No Club Team… Max 4 anglers per boat. Fishing the 12th & 13th
of November. Catch & Release prizes for fish under 100lbs, weigh stations (San Diego, Newport and Ventura) for fish over 100lbs. $300.00 dollars per angler. IFGA rules apply.
With no other business the meeting was called to a close.