May 12, 2022 Meeting
Welcome to the Southern California Tuna Club in its 97th year
Terry Tysseland called the Meeting to Order at 12:25pm
With 34 members in attendance
Tackle Day was April the 9th. However, the money keeps coming in thanks to Co DeCoudres and Ron Herbst’ efforts to sell donated tackle & equipment which are still coming in thanks to our members cleaning out the gear that they don’t use any more. Look for a total Foundation donation figure in coming weeks which will be amazing.
Next Thursday many of us will be gone on the El Salto Fresh Water Trip to Mexico. Tom Dixon has volunteered to run the lunch meeting. THANK YOU TOM!!!
Our first evening meeting of this year will be May 26, 2022. Please mark your calendars and especially many of the members that can’t come to our lunches due to working or other conflicts. This is a great way to meet the members. Night Meetings will be for one night a month on the last Thursday of each month thru September 29th.
There have been some changes to the Club Calendar of Events
- Past Presidents and Sportsman Dinner is now 11/3/22
- Couples Trip is now scheduled for 11/12 thru 11/17/22
- The Tom and Jerry Party is now scheduled 12/15/2022
Members not seen for a while:
- Doug Miller
- Tom Vera
- BG Williams
- Skip Smith
- Greg Bohnet
- Frank Spina
- Welcome Back Guys
Good Cheer Report: None
- None! The weather continues to be a challenge.
Fish Reports: None.
- Past Events:
- White Seabass Hatchery Trip – was held on 5/10/22. Ten of us, ably lead by Bob Hetzler, in three cars went to HUBBS SeaWorld Research Institute in Carlsbad where we were met by Donald Kent, President/CEO, who personal guided us on the tour. In a maze of pipes, tanks and research labs the WSB are spawned and the raised seabass are deposited from recreational and commercial landings along the west coast. We learned about the history of the hatchery and the new genetic marking system to identify and measure their success. It can be argued that 30% of the WSB now available for us to catch originated in this lab. On a further note, Bob Hetzler started the Huntington Beach grow pen in 1996 which you can see if you look to the water at the corner of Warner and PCH. Thank you Bob for an informative tour and a delicious lunch on the beach afterwards.
- Fresh Water Trip at Lake El Salto Mexico is scheduled for May 16th thru the 20th. We depart this coming Monday contact Paul McEachern for any questions.
- Pacific Dawn Long Range Trip. The trip is scheduled to focus on white seabass. For info contact Al Hermer or Mike Engle
- Fish the Wall and Small Boat Tournament. Scheduled for June 4th followed by the Burger Bash on the 5th. The Burger Bash will be ribs and fixings this year. This event always has a great turnout with awards & prizes held during the Burger Bash on Sunday. Contact Tani Poe for info.
- Jim Schmidt “SPRING BASS” Tournament 6/9/22 to 6/11/22 is scheduled to begin on Friday night 6/10/2 at 12 midnight fishing thru Saturday 6/11/22 with lines out at 3pm. Awards, raffle prizes and dinner to be held at Whites Landing starting with cocktails at 5 pm. Check with Cor Clause or Hank Brown for information.
- Baja Kids Trip… Thom Ryan and Andrew Weiske 6/18/22 to 6/23/22 promises this year’s event to be one of the biggest. It is well attended by members, their Kids and Grandkids. If you are looking for an event to include your family members in this is the one.
- Alaska Trip… Now is full but taking alternate names if someone has to drop out. Trip is scheduled 7/22 thru 7/27
Contact Terry Tysseland if you have any questions.
- Couples Trip – November 12 to 17, 2022. Tamarindo, Costa Rica. Cor Claus is our host to 20 beautiful ocean front rooms with all the activities, fishing and endless cocktail parties you have come to expect from a SCTC Couples Trip. So far Cor has 13 couples signed up and we would like to see at least 20. Please contact Cor. Let’s get out of the country and relax in the sun and have fun with your best friends!!
With no other business to discuss the meeting was called to a close at 1:45pm.