October 7th, 2021
Dennis Friedman called the meeting to order with 32 in attendance.
- Dennis Friedman…Welcome back to the Southern California Tuna Club in our 97th year.
- Dennis asked for a moment of silence in remembrance of Vic Rains. Vic has passed away after a long battel with cancer.
Vic had been a member since 2010. Vic was very active in the club, always willing to volunteer for any need that may help the Club or its members. Vic was always helpful and served on the Board of Directors as Treasure, Co-Chair House Keeping Committee, Bar and Clothing Chairman. Vic had many friends within the Club and will be missed by all.
Thank You Vic and God Bless!
- Cor announced the Costa Rica Couple’s Trip deposits are to be refunded soon.
- Jeff Stone is trying to put together a 2022 Couples Trip locally due to all the Covid restrictions and difficulty experienced during the past two years with having to cancel this event. Jeff is purposing El Capitan Cabins located in Santa Barbra, California. Stay Tuned.
Members not seen in a while:
- Doug Miller, Skip Smith.
Paul McEachren introduced friend Rick Jahn
Dennis Friedman introduced friend J.D. Simpson
Good Cheer Report:
- Co reports Pres Smith is doing well.
- Frank Easterbrook is exercising and claims to walk back into the club soon.
- Mike Brown was life flighted from Big Bear Mountain and is currently in the hospital being treated for a severe case on pneumonia. While in the hospital it was discovered his replacement heart valve is leaking. He has been transferred to Long Beach Memorial where he is scheduled for heart surgery on Monday.
- Co fishing on the Chaser, caught a Black Seabass on 15kg using a sardine. The fish took 2 hours to bring boat side where the . was estimated at approximately 200lbs.
- Curt Herbert’s fishing on Rendez Tous caught 4 Bluefin all on 10kg using a sardine. The largest was 35.2 lbs. All caught on the Tanner Bank
- Gus Chabre caught a Bluefin 14.9 lbs. fishing a sardine also on the Tanner Bank
- Al Hermer caught a Bluefin 19.7 lbs. using a sardine also on the Tanner Bank
- Mike Contino caught 4 Bluefin using a sardine also on the Tanner Bank. The largest was 43 lbs on 24kg.
- Co DeCoudres reports fishing on the Chaser at SCI hooked a large Black Seabass. He fought the fish for 2 hours while staying hydrated with water. When they got the fish boat side, they estimated it at 200lbs. Paul McEachren reported fishing that same spot and catching a similar fish on 20lb test 2 weeks prior.
- Gus Chabre reports leaving Newport at 2pm headed for West Cove SCI. They pulled anchor and headed for the Tanner Bank at 3am the next day to fish the Stag Tournament. When arriving, Al Hermer picked out a spot to anchor where they spent the next 20 hours fishing for Blue Fin Tuna.
- Mike Mundy also fishing the Stag Tournament headed for the Tanner Bank. They spent the night on Thursday and got no sleep due to the rough conditions. They did manage 2 Blue Fin in the 13lb range and 1 yellowtail. They left the bank Friday afternoon headed for SCI and a peaceful night sleep.
- Don Herman left the harbor Thursday afternoon for the Tanner Bank to compete in the Stag Tournament. About ½ the way they heard a loud bang. They had hit something in the water that broke one shaft. When inspection the bilge they discovered the shaft had broken at the coupler and slid out the packing box. Water was now entering the boat. Chris Scott dove the boat to find the shaft had slid back against the rudder. Chris was able to wiggle the shaft back into the packing box and slow the leak. Chris proceeded with a rope to tie the propeller and shaft to the strut to hold it in place. Inspection the bilge again the shaft did not extend thru the packing box and water was still leaking. Boy Scout Don had tapered cedar plugs which they drove into the stuffing box and stopped the leak. They proceeded to slowly at 4.5 knots and 9 hours later return to the dock safely.
- Fall Stag Tournament was a great success. Most boats fished the Tanner Bank with a few fishing Catalina or San Clemente Islands. There were lots of fish caught at the Tanner Bank with Curt Herbert’s taking 1st place by capturing a 35.2 lb. Blue Fin aboard the Rendez Tous. 2nd place went to Jim Dandy’s guest Rick Hobby with a 23.10 oz Yellowtail at the Tanner Bank.
3rd place went to Richard Andino. Richard was fishing with Joe Vicic aboard the Kingfisher. They fished SCI and caught a 3lb Calico Bass on a sardine.
- Pacific Dawn Trip October leaves the 17th and returns the 20th. Al Hermer reports the trip is full. He is advising anglers, bring the heavy gear for the BIG TUNA!
- IFGA Swordfish Tournament format is not a team format. Anglers need to enter individually at a cost of $350.00 dollars. For more information contact Gus Chabre.
- The Past Presidents Dinner is scheduled for November the 11th at the Club. Flyers to be out next week. There will be entertainment, also bring your best fish or sea stories… Details to follow…
With no other business, the meeting was called to a close!