September 23rd, 2021
Dennis Friedman called the meeting to order with 37 in attendance.
- Dennis Friedman…Welcome back to the Southern California Tuna Club in our 97th year.
- Next weeks meeting may be canceled as the board members will all be fishing the Stag Tournament next week. Stay tuned as if there is enough interest Mr. Tom Dixon may preside over the meeting. Watch your e-mail for final announcement.
- Dennis wanted to recognize and give a special thanks to Bob Briggs and Mike Kenyon aka, The Booze Brothers for their excellent work behind the bar. Also, a special thanks to Mr. Tom Schlauch for suppling the ice cream each week… Thanks Guy’s !!!!!!
Members not seen in a while:
- Steve Sproule, Phil Capriccio, and Jim Bateman
Thom Ryan introduced his son Zach
Ron Herberts introduced Joe Petro
Jim Hardesty introduced Chuck Anderson and Rick Hobby
Good Cheer Report:
- Monte Navarre was released from the hospital and is at home accepting calls.
- Mike Brown was life flighted from Big Bear Mountain and is currently in the hospital being treated for a severe case on pneumonia. He is responding to treatment but will be a few days in the hospital.
- None to report
- Mike Engle reports just returning from the Cedros Trip. They crossed the CBX bridge and were loaded into a van. They were then transported to the airport where they got on a 12-person airplane for the trip to Cedros Island. Mike reports getting there was easy and a well-run operation. They arrived the same day and fished that afternoon. Everybody got close to limits of Yellowtail from 35 to 40 lbs. The fish surface iron, bait and rapala’s. Other catches included lots of Bonito. Paul Harris did manage a 38lb Halibut.
- Joe Vicic was fly fishing on the Cedros trip for Calico Bass and Yellowtail….. They broke off two Yellowtail, but of interest, they observed the Yellowtail ramming into a shark’s belly. They believe the Yellowtail were trying to get the shark to expel the contents of its stomach and then eat the contents. They were able to land some nice Calicos and sheepshead.
Phil Capriccio has done it again. Landing this Beautify Tuna on a recent trip on the Limitless.
- Fall Stag Tournament. Joe Vicic reports all is set for the Fall Stag Trip. The weather looks good at this point. 12 to 13 boats have already signed up with room for more. However, if you are considering going, please signup ASAP as there are few moorings left available. Contact Fred Westberg for moorings in Cherry Cove. With plenty of great raffle prizes and great food, Joe promises this to be greater than the Spring Bass Tournament????? Also, their will be a special award for an Angler who catches the largest Calico Bass, Yellowtail or Tuna on a Fly Rod.
- Pacific Dawn Trip. Al Hermer reports the trip is full. He is advising anglers, bring the heavy gear for the BIG TUNA!
With no other business, the meeting was called to a close!